MASAI MARA, KENYA – GROUP 2
15 – 22 AUGUST 2023 (7 NIGHTS)
Join Grant Atkinson and a small group of (maximum 8) photographers in August 2023 as they explore the southern Mara National Reserve in Kenya, in search of big cats and other iconic African wildlife species. Whilst we focus our attention on animals like lions, cheetah and spotted hyaena, we will also be on the lookout for elephants, giraffe and many other species like zebra, wildebeest, hartebeest to name a few. Though rarely seen, leopard and black rhino do occur in this part of the reserve.
The Mara’s mix of savannah grasslands, thickets, hillsides, rivers and marshes is home to more than 80 species of mammals. Hippopotamus, Coke’s hartebeest, topi, Thomsons and Grant’s gazelle and Kirk’s dik-dik are just some of the more commonly encountered herbivores. Primates include olive baboon and vervet monkey. Approximately 450 bird species have also been recorded in the Mara and they always add colour to our trips.
Our visit takes place during the time of year that large herds of migratory wildebeest and zebra might visit this part of the Mara. However, the exact timing of the movements of those herds is difficult to predict. However, this has little effect on the resident wildlife, which live year-round in the reserve.
This safari takes place within the Mara National Reserve, so off-road driving may not be possible. On the other hand, there is a very good network of roads which allows for good photographic positioning, and this is aided by the open nature of the terrain.
We use Enkewa camp as our base in the Mara, with its classic East African tented camp style. The tents are built on wooden decks, and have a bright and airy feel with fantastic views. There is solar-sourced power available for charging in each tent which makes it easy to keep camera and laptop batteries well-charged. There is also basic wi-fi available in each tent.
All images in the gallery for this photo safari are from recent safaris to the Mara National Reserve.
Please note: This safari is booked and managed by Wilderness Uncut. Any additional travel, pre-safari or post-safari can easily be arranged.
9 August 2023
Arrive in Nairobi. Meet and Greet on arrival at the International airport and transfer to Tamarind Tree Hotel for overnight (for 1 night) on Bed and Breakfast basis.
10 August 2023
Check out and transfer to Wilson Airport for your onward flight to Masai Mara. On arrival you will be received by the team of Enkewa and transferred to the camp. On route is a short game drive.
Post lunch, we will take an afternoon game drive. Overnight on fully inclusive basis, in other words all meals, shared game drives, house wines and beer, gin, soft drinks and laundry service.
11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th August 2023
Explore the Masai Mara.
16 August 2023
Short morning game drive. Check out and transfer to the airstrip for your 11h00 (morning) flight to Wilson airport, Nairobi. Arrive by 12h30 (afternoon). You will be received from the airport on arrival and transferred to the International airport. Day use car at your disposal till the time you reach the airport.
- Six nights in the Mara National Reserve.
- Based out of Enkewa camp, it is possible to encounter wildlife in close proximity to our camp.
- A maximum group size of eight photographers and we will make use of three vehicles.
- The photo leader will alternate every day or activity between the three jeeps so as to spread his time equally amongst the group.
- A maximum of three photographers per vehicle.
- We use Toyota Landcruiser game drive vehicles. They are open sided, and the front window can fold forward, to benefit photographic use.
- The three game drive vehicles have three rows of seats behind the driver. The driver works with a spotter to help him find animals. The spotter will sit in the back row of the jeep, on one side. Photographers sitting in the third row will share it with the spotter. We will follow a seat rotation policy amongst the photographers.
- One photographic leader Grant Atkinson, will lead the group. The photo leader will switch between the three game drive vehicles each activity or day.
- During each day, and when not in the field, Grant Atkinson will be available in camp to work with all members of the group. He will share information on camera setup, as well as image processing tips and techniques, all related to the kind of wildlife photography the Mara allows for. Grant uses Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw and Adobe Photoshop.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- 1 Night at Tamarind Tree Hotel in Nairobi on a bed and breakfast basis
- 6 Nights at Enkewa camp on a fully inclusive basis, including all game drives, all meals, select alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and laundry service
- All meals and local drinks included
- Park fees for 6 nights at Masai Mara
- All airport and airstrip transfers
- Internal flights (return flights from Wilson Airport in Nairobi)
- On the internal flights only from Nairobi to Mara and back, regular baggage allowance is 15Kg. We will have an extra 20Kg per person, making for a total baggage allowance of 35Kg for each person
- Cost: US$7 950 per person sharing (shared tent)
- Single supplement of US$1 800, maximum 2 single spots available
- Only 2 Single supplements for one group
- Amref cover i.e Emergency Air Vacation Insurance